Joints help the skeleton to be flexible; without joints, we can’t do anything. The movement of the body is impossible without the help of joints. Our musculoskeletal system includes different components such as bones, muscles, tendons, ligaments and soft tissues.
Every component in the musculoskeletal system works together to provide support, movement and protection to the body. A healthy musculoskeletal system allows us to move without any difficulty in our daily life.
It is recommended to consult an orthopedic specialist if you are suffering from any musculoskeletal system problem.
Orthopedics is a branch of medicine that deals with the disorders of the musculoskeletal system. The most common treatment we are dealing are.
- Arthritis: It is the most common condition which hampers the normal working conditions of the bone. In this condition, you may face swelling on the joints.
- Injury caused to our joints, such as a fracture.
- As age passes, the bones and joints become worn off that will cause pain to the hip, knees, shoulder, etc.
- While playing sports, there may be extra pressure on your knees there are chances of being affected.
People who didn’t see any progress in their treatment are opting for joint replacement surgery. This surgery has become more common in India. A report says there was 54,000 knee replacement surgery were performed in 2010. In this surgery, the diseased and defective joint gets replaced with the help of an orthopedic prosthesis.
The major prosthesis component was plastic because it should be lightweight. Usually, joint replacement surgery takes almost 2 – 3 hours. It will vary depending on the nature of the case. The damaged cartilage and bones were removed from the body and replaced with a prosthesis during this surgery.
Joint replacement surgery is a vast category. The procedure varies for different parts. Each part requires different procedures.
Most common joint replacement surgery:
- Knee replacement surgery: Knee replacement / knee arthroplasty, is a surgical procedure to replace the weight-bearing surfaces of the knee joint to relieve pain and inability, most commonly offered when joint pain is not diminished by conservative sources and also for other knee diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis and psoriatic arthritis.
- Hip replacement surgery: Hip replacement is a surgical procedure in which the hip joint is replaced by a hip prosthesis. This surgery can be performed as a total replacement or a hemi (half) replacement. Such joint replacement orthopedic surgery is generally conducted to relieve arthritis pain or in some hip fractures.